DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
|Department Library||Lecture notes|
Civil Engineering Department at a glance:
Civil Engineering is a core field of engineering which deals with entire infrastructure that includes Buildings, Water supply and Sanitation, Irrigation facilities and Transportation facilities. The academic program includes Planning, Analysis, Design and maintenance of the above infrastructural components.
The Department of Civil Engineering of MVSR Engineering College was started in the year 1981. The current annual intake of 60 undergraduate students and M.E (STRUCTURES) of 18 students.
The department is equipped with state of art laboratory facilities in the areas of Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Geology, Surveying Hydraulics and Machinery. The department has computer applications laboratory facility. The department is also equipped with library apart from a central library with several volumes and titles including journals.
The department has well qualified, experienced and committed faculty for teaching, research and consultancy works. Eight (8) faculty members are with PhD in their fields of specialization from prestigious Institutions and 8 faculty members are pursuing PhD program in their own area of specialization. All other faculty members are post graduates in engineering or technology from reputed institutions and University Colleges.
The department has an ambience of high discipline with commitment, conducive for high academic learning and training. It is due to the very good academic environment and the excellent efforts of faculty and supporting staff that the students have brought laurels to the Department and Institute by securing the meritorious ranks in the university.
During the A.Y. 1994 – 95, 1995-96 First ranks among all the affiliated colleges of Osmania University were bagged by the students of MVSR Engineering College. Our students were securing top ranks (with in 10) every year. The department has also been able to achieve a high pass percentage of passes with distinction and first class in the university examinations.
On the Placements front too, the number of students of the Civil Engineering department, who got placed, has surpassed that from several other institutes.
The department is actively involved in research and consultancy. The main areas of research include Structural Engineering. The Department regularly receives consultancy projects from GHMC and other private organizations.
The Department is accorded recognition as 3rd party quality control check by Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) for testing, verifying, approving designs and certification. The Department also has a M.O.U with National Highways Authority of INDIA (NHAI) for different stretches of Highway Roads. also have a M.O.U with ISRO.
For promoting academic atmosphere the department is actively involved in organizing regularly Seminars/Symposia/Workshops for the professional development of faculty, staff and students.
B.E (Civil Engineering) programme has been accredited by NBA (National Board of Accreditation) of AICTE during 2002, 2007, 2013 & 2018.
M.E. (Civil- Structural Engineering) startedin the year 2020 with an intakeof 18.
To nurture the Civil Engineering Student fraternity and focus in right areas so that we can contribute to the nation’s growth by providing talented and technically competent professionals while making the teaching - learning process an enjoyable experience.
To produce an engineer who can adopt an integrated approach to various problems in Civil Engineering and judiciously use research and technology to benefit the society at large.
Mission 1: Adopt an integrated approach to various problems in Civil Engineering
Mission 2: Judiciously use knowledge of Civil Engineering
Mission 3: Use latest Research and Technology
Mission 4: Benefit the society
B.E (Civil Engineering) Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
Program educational objectives are broad statements that describe the career and professional accomplishments that the program is preparing the graduates to achieve.
PEO1. A strong foundation in mathematics, basic sciences and engineering fundamentals, to successfully compete for entry-level positions or pursue postgraduate programme in Civil Engineering and related fields.
PEO2. Contemporary Civil Engineering professional skills, collection, analysis / interpretation and presentation of data, including hands-on laboratory experience, exposure to modern software, creativity, and innovation to successfully compete in the local, national and global market.
PEO3. Strong communication and interpersonal skills, broad knowledge and an understanding of multicultural and global perspectives to work effectively in multidisciplinary teams, both as team members and leaders.
PEO4. Integral development of the personality to deal with ethical and professional issues, taking into account the broader societal implications of civil engineering and also develop independent and lifelong learning.
B.E (Civil Engineering) Program Outcomes
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques,resources,and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and model into complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed bythe contextual knowledge toassess societal, health,safety,legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact o fthe professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics:Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and teamwork: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams,and in multi disciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large,such as,being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s ownwork, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multi disciplinary environments.
12.Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learningin the broadest context of technological change.
B.E (Civil Engineering) Program Specific Program Outcomes (PSPOs)
PSO1: Plan, Analyze and design various structural components for buildings, Transportation elements, Water Resources Structures , Treatment plants, Geotechnical aspects, Geological investigations using suitable approaches, latest equipment and software.
PSO2: Exploration of futuristic approaches in Civil Engineering for better Industry compatibility.
M.E. (Civil- Structural Engineering) Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
PEO1: To Demonstrate knowledge in broad areas of Structural Engineering.
PEO2: To Demonstrate a depth of knowledge in a chosen/focus area of Structural Engineering.
PEO3: To provide proficiency in the basic principles and advanced courses of technology in Structural Engineering.
PEO4: To produce Structural Engineers who integrate and build on the program's core curricular concepts.
M.E. (Civil- Structural Engineering) PROGRAM OUTCOMES (POs):
On completing the M.E Structural Engineering Programme successfully the students will exhibit the following capabilities:
PO1: Knowledge of a broad range of structural methodologies and underlying civil engineering, commonly used in the development and analysis of Structural Engineering systems.
PO2: An ability to independently carry out research /investigation and development work to solve practical problems.
PO3: An ability to write and present a substantial technical report/document.
PO4: Students should be able to demonstrate a degree of mastery over the area as per the specialization of the program. The mastery should be at a level higher than the requirements in the appropriate bachelor program
PO5: Knowledge of fundamental design issues relevant to Structural Engineering and an understanding of how to formulate and analyse design solutions in various engineering contexts.
PO6: Knowledge of time management and work planning issues related to the organization implementation and successful completion, including reporting, of an individual, masters level, Engineering based projects.
The BE(Civil) Course is Provisionally Accredited by National Board of Accreditation for three years with effect from 9th, Jun 2018.