NPTEL Local Chapter
The main objective of the National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) is to enhance thequality of engineering & science education in the country by developing contents for undergraduate and postgraduate curricula using video and web based courses.
These courses cover the syllabi prescribed by universities and approved by AICTE. Course contents will beuseful for teacher training and through them improve the quality of students. These courses can be used by professionals for updating their academic background.
NPTEL Online Certification Courses
Since March 2014, NPTEL started offering certification on courses offered in the open online mode. The objective of enabling students to obtain certificates from courses is to make students employable in the industry or pursue a suitable higher education programme.
The features are:
- The course enrollment and learning is free while the exam comes for a nominal fee.
- The courses are offered by the faculty of IITs,CMI,IMSc,etc which are of duration 10,20 or 40 hrs.
- Lessons and assignments are released every week. Also there is a discussion forum in which students caninteract with the faculty member directly.
- At the end of the course, an in person proctored exam is conducted (which is optional) and the student getsa certificate.
Benefits for a student who participatesin an NPTELonline certification course:
- Students gain tangible end results
- Students can review and assess their own progress through assignments(weekly)
- Continuous assessment and interaction with course faculty
- Discussion forum of like-minds to discuss problem areas
- Students get access to mentors Certificate from the IITs,to improve job prospects
MVSR - NPTEL Local Chapter
It is a partnership between the college and NPTEL. To take this initiative forward and to encourage more students across colleges to participate in this initiative, NPTEL are setting up NPTEL chapter in colleges (with the approval of the management) which will be under the headship of a facultymember of the college, who would be Single Point of Contact (SPOC). NPTEL will keep the SPOC updated about all the latest NPTEL initiatives and give him/herinformation which he/she can disseminate among the students. He/she can identify suitable mentors for various courses, who can ensure that students are active in a course, are submitting their assignments on time and also clarify the doubts they may have.
Single Point of Contact (SPOC)
Dr Akhil Khare, Professor, Dept. of CSE, MVSREC